Sunday, January 16, 2011

wedding present bizarro gig return bus trip



this print is from my trip home after a wedding present gig last december...

if you're not familiar with them, the wedding present are a leeds band, fronted by dave gedge, making music that often document a particular male crapness in relationships and their aftermath. [my mate simon h suggested that we prepare for this gig by having pointless arguments with our wives...]

their songs are sometimes poignant, often darkly funny, with well observed and cleverly-written lyrics and back in 1989 they released 'bizarro', an album of indie guitar rock thrashed out at 100mph that soundtracked me through a painful romantic heartbreak, and which became my music of choice during the occasionally bitter fallout...


flash forward to 2010 and this was a sort of homecoming gig, with the band playing the whole lp.
and it was a brilliant night - sort of cathartic for me, with songs that i once wallowed in suddenly sounding all joyous and exhilarating. i was smiling for days afterwards.

in the print here, the grey bloke is 1990-me, surprised at 21st century me. the songs quoted are 'brassneck' and 'take me!' [possibly my favourite wedding present tune ever, a big, exuberant, 9 minute rock-out...]

5 comments:

Tom Wateracre said...

This is amazing, Si. Are you doing Etsy copies?

Anonymous said...

aye up!

yup, am planning to dump a load of prints into the etsy store this week sometime, when i can grab an hour or two. probably tuesday afternoon or maybe weds...
glad you like it!

si

Anonymous said...

[and i may just have spelt bizarro wrong. oops.]

blue hands said...

Si, this bus trips series has been a really rich seam. I've loved the simplicity and flatness of the medium and the mix of simple and complex images that have emerged. This one is a tour de force and I love it all the more for knowing your personal explanation of it. M x

Gavin Mart said...

round glasses to look older- square glasses to look younger...